Philosophy of Water: Simplicity

Philosophy of Water: Simplicity

Simplicity relates to the Philosophy of Water because a complex system cannot adapt as effectively as a simple one. Complexity is an imprisonment that prevents the individual from becoming more like water. 

The Salaryman and the Beggar

That which needs less changing requires less effort to adapt. Let's compare the adaptability of a salaryman and a beggar. At surface view, a salaried worker is more resilient to environmental pressures because he has more money which increase optionality. For example, during famine, the rich man could afford to purchase goods at a higher price. During a storm, he could take shelter the apartment he rents. While afflicted with a serious illness, he could afford medical care. On the other hand, the beggar is subject to the whims of nature and other people. He might receive enough money to buy a meal one day and non for the next few days. He might find shelter from a storm for a night, but find the place uninhabitable the next few nights. 

However, if you evaluate adaptability in terms of mentality, you'd find that the beggar is more adaptable. The beggar is used to accepting and making the most out of his situation. He knows about the uncertainty surrounding his circumstances unlike the salaryman who likely expects a roof over his head every night and three meals a day. In Nassim Taleb's book Antifragile, the salaryman would be fragile, and the beggar antifragile (that which gets stronger when injured). Those who aren't periodically exposed to the effects of uncertainty will become fragile. I have lived a very sheltered life and am scared of being homeless or of spending a night outside in a storm without proper camping gear.

Uncertainty and the Transience of Life

The regularity of a bi-weekly paycheck could make the salaryman think he is safe from the uncertainty of his industry. A regular salary lends a facade of security because the number of sales the employer closes on a particular day doesn't directly affect salaried employees until the company runs out of money. There is the uncertainty of losing one's job the next day, but most employees work as if their jobs are as stable as fact that water is wet. I am no exception to this assumption, I'm expecting my next paycheck from my day job in about a week and honestly wouldn't know what to do if I lost my job sooner than that. I'm not saying that the salaryman should become a beggar, but one should be more aware of the uncertainty of life and nature. Water isn't frozen, so one shouldn't expect his circumstances to stay the same forever. The beauty of water is in it transiency and ease of flow. If human life were predictable, it would be monotonous and boring.

Conveniences Hinder Simplicity

A good balance would be a salaryman who simplifies his necessities and is mindful about any complexities he allows into his life. As a rule of thumb, conveniences leads to fragility or the susceptibility to collapse under pressures of one's environment. The person who requires the convenience of a certain quality of housing will go to great lengths to fulfill those constraints, whereas one who only requires only a roof or a blanket can live almost anywhere.

Where I Lay my Head is Home

Water travels to all corners of the earth, so it's natural that one who strives to be like water will be comfortable traveling anywhere. Traveling lightly is a way for those who want to simplify their lives and let go of unnecessary conveniences without sacrificing the monthly salary. If you book a modest hotel, travel with friends, and limit your belongings to a single backpack, you will be surprised at the number of conveniences you can live without. For example, I leaned to wash my clothes in the shower during a week-long trip. Once I arrived home, I went back to using my laundry machine but with the full knowledge that I didn't need it to function in my day-to-day life. The more I travel, the more I learn how to simplify my life through accepting the fact that I cannot control my surroundings as much as I can at home. Like how water flows wherever the current takes it, I want to learn how to feel calm wherever I may go. 

Comments