What Makes Trial and Error the Best Way to Learn

Philosophy of Water

Trial and error is the method of learning that is most like water. Similar to how water fills every crevice of its vessel, a pupil is lead by curiosity and leaves no stone unturned.

Experimentation is the Best Part of Learning

In my experience, gaming and coding have been the most enjoyable to learn because of their focus on hands-on learning. Trial and error is the most effective way to learn how to code or play video games because of immediate feedback. You send your computer an input, and the effects of your key presses or mouse clicks result in visible changes to the game's state: your avatar might die or you might have discovered some treasure. I am currently learning how to design video games. I jumped into coding a game without any experience in game development, although, I know some programming languages. The most enjoyable part is tinkering with the code and immediately compiling and running the game to see if my changes worked. I like exploring my game and trying different interactions to see if activating a potion on certain enemies has different effects from what I expected. I am developing a game that revolves around potion, and defining the interactions between potions is really fun. I also find pleasure in unexpected surprises where I've made a mistake in the game's logic but decide to keep it because the resulting interactions were interesting. My experimentations involved in game development is similar to the waves of an ocean chiseling at a rock over and over until it carves a steep clivv. I tweak and test my code again and again until it resembles a playable video game.

Learn from Experience

Experience is the best teacher. A pupil learns to navigate through a subject via experimentation. An expert is just one who has made more blunders in a subject than the average person. For example, while learning how to draw, a beginner artist can improve only through experimenting with different sketching techniques. One who only reads about art will be a good reader of art but not a good artist. Flowing water doesn't read about what shape it's going to take in the future and perfectly attempt to take that shape on the first try. When one pours water into a glass, it splashes around, and might make a mess on the table, before it settles down in its final shape. 

Comments